Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Days Go By

Finally got Nicole's picture scanned from her basketball season!

 
For participating in a PTA art contest with a painting as well as a story, Nicole and the family was invited to a breakfast at school. She won 2nd place in her age group (K-2) in her school for her painting and 3rd place for her story she wrote.


Having breakfast in the library was a bit scary. I was glad I'd fed the kids oatmeal before coming, since donut holes and o.j. don't really make a power breakfast! The kids were so good, and despite my fears Jake did not make a mess. Whew!


Nicole took a picture of her certificate, it was sweet to see how special she felt when she was called up. And then after the other kids were all called up, Jake (before I could stop him) walked right up to the front to the lady waiting for a certificate too! Funny kid!

 
Nicole took a picture of yet another tooth gone! This is the second one she took out at school, it's so nice to know her fingers are in her mouth all the time at school. :) And today she mentioned that the tooth fairy hasn't come in two days even though the tooth is under her pillow! Jim said that I could get in touch with the tooth fairy and I said it was probably a busy season for her. Nicole was fine with that.


To celebrate my birthday, some dear friends took me to a 13,000sq ft warehouse with wall-to-wall trampolines. I had fun trying to shoot into a tall basketball hoop, trying to bounce high enough to reach a punching bag hung from the ceiling, and bouncing off trampolines on the side walls. My favorite was doing flips from the trampoline into a foam pit! After a session there, we went to a frozen yogurt shop. I am blessed to have these sweet friends.


Last night, Jim took me to a Tim McGraw concert! The venue was an outdoor amphitheater, and I bought seats in the last row that is actually under the roof. We were so close it was incredible, awesome and unforgettable.


Ready for the show to begin! There were a ridiculously small number of restrooms for the over 20,000 people attending. I don't think I'd like going there again because there was a lot of beer consumed, not as much by where we were seated but if we left our area to go near the lawn or bathrooms it was pretty crazy. I thought it was funny that in comparison we brought our Sprite and girl scout thin mint cookies :) So although the area around our seats was fine, I couldn't imagine being on the lawn and having anywhere near the experience. Also the traffic leaving was awful, it took us an hour to make the twenty minute drive.


There were two opening bands for Tim, and I recognized a song or two from each of them. I recognized a pretty mellow song from this group but everything else was wildly redneck. The drummer was incredible according to Jim so it wasn't a total loss :)


And then Tim came on! Since I've only been to a Taylor Swift concert it was interesting to compare the two styles. Tim hardly spoke at all, whereas Taylor had a monologue introducing almost every song. For Tim, there was a musical bridge, change of background scenery and on to the next song. Awesome.

 
Tim sang a whole variety of songs from his career and I knew most of them, he has so many hits that it was no wonder he didn't need to fill his concert with talking; he could just sing and everyone loved it. There was a huge difference in how Tim performed from Taylor. He didn't dance around or anything, it was more like he was just enjoying singing a bunch of his songs. He'd jump around, walk over to his band and rock out a bit, but overall was just singing his songs.


The screens behind the band would change to be different vistas or effects and that was awesome. They also had cameras on the audience that would show on the screens along with the big shot of Tim singing.


The most personal part of the show was when he had us all sing Happy Birthday to a friend of his who he grew up with that was in the audience. And then this picture was taken during the one song he sat down. For all the rest of them he was standing. I wasn't performing but was still tired from so much standing!


One of my favorite songs was She's My Kind of Rain and the background was a 3D looking rainstorm. He sang it really well and hearing it outdoors with the wind blowing was cool.


The music was loud enough that I could sing along and nobody had to cringe listening :) It seemed like everyone's favorite song was Live Like You're Dying. You could hear the audience singing and loving it. I thought it was interesting that a song written a while back had everyone dancing the most even though he sang a lot of recent hits too.

 
And last, but not least, here is Michael's picture for me. He drew a person then asked "Mom how do you draw bones?" I said I didn't know, so he just added all the bones by himself, adding that he didn't put any bones in the ears or nose. How did my boy get so smart? He's such a cute boy.

No comments: