Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pie, Bentonville Battlefield, Soccer


 Seems like I get a super craving for one of these lemon meringue pies each pregnancy. I was very glad that all my substitutes worked to replace the shortening, milk, etc. I thought the crust was a lot better sans shortening.
  

We drove an hour to Bentonville Battlefield for their Fall Festival. It was in the middle of wide open country, much more the true south than our citified area. I love wide open spaces for my kids!


There was a small museum you can see in the background and it had weaponry from the war as well as an artillery shell lodged in a piece of wood from the actual battle. This was the last battle in the Civil War and the largest battle in NC. A much bigger piece of history than I'd thought. It was good for the kids to show respect for the graves and markers of the soldiers who fought and gave their lives for what they believed. We tried to share on a simple level the circumstances of the Civil War and teach them that when people think about they war and the many people that died they are sad. That we should try to talk things out before fighting, but that there are times when we need to fight for important things like liberty. Nicole was really listening, the boys not as much. But still a good opportunity and you have to start somewhere!

 
The festival focused on the everyday lives of the people in the era instead of the battle, which was perfectly age appropriate for the kids! They had corn shucking and whatever it's called when they take the corn off too. This was by far and away the favorite activity. There was a tour of the home used as a hospital but the kids were too young to do that.

 
They had a log cabin with people set up doing things inside, but they didn't have any tours or explanations for the kids to hear so that was disappointing. I had to recall my pioneer knowledge to make it worthwhile history-wise for the kids.
 
 
They had a slave cabin pictured in the background. I was able to teach the kids on a very basic level how important it is to have freedom. So it was a good outing, unique and fun. Probably not something we'll head out to see again unless the reenactment they do looks good.


Mike picked me a ton of dandelions when we were talking the battlefield looking at trenches and the cannon they had set up. He made me a beautiful bouquet, it was really sweet! His new favorite color is yellow!


Nicole had her last soccer game yesterday before our outing.

 
She told me that she thinks she likes basketball more than soccer. Trying not to show how pleased I am that she likes bball, I say "Really?" She responds that "Yeah, the treats are much better in basketball." Well, I'll take what I can :)

No comments: