Thursday, November 6, 2014

Into Fall

 
The weather in NC is just too good for pumpkins. All it took was two days of 80 degree weather and I came outside to four fruit fly-infested rotting pumpkins.


The kids had a random day off school for a teacher workday so Marian and I headed to the beach! Well, the lakefront beach. 15 min to paradise.

 
I loved watching the kids working together to bring water and clay to this enormous castle/moat that someone else had built. We were the only ones at the beach it was amazing weather. The kids were even swimming in the water!

 
Little D in her element- free and in the wild!

 
Michael busy as can be on the moat.

 
Nicole loving the time with her cousins!

 
Jake right with Mike totally working hard on the moat.

 
My pitiful twig actually has some green sprouts.

 
If this thing ever gives us fruit it will be a miracle. I hope it will on one hand but on the other hand I keep waiting for Diana to bring me a "stick" she found.

 
Michael had a Letterland parade. They don't do anything Halloween at schools. They have "fall learning experience" or in this case all of the kids got to dress up like a character from their alphabet/spelling learning program Letterland. Michael was "Kicking King"

 
We had a trunk or treat Thursday and had friends over to trick or treat on Friday. The kids wore their costumes from last year. I do have to note that I had my one minute of fame and glory. I read somewhere that everyone has their minute and this was mine. I won the ward chili cook-off. I know it's not grand and glorious but receiving that spray-painted gold ladle was it for me. That is, if you discount all the people that stare if I take all the kids shopping with me.

 
This is as good as you'll see of the boys who were off to get candy. On Thursday, they and Jim did the green army men costumes which I love. On Friday, Jake just wanted to go and get candy and opted for the simple sweater bee costume so he could get out the door faster.

 
Saturday we went to the community park and I played some basketball with Jim while the kids biked and scootered around. Diana gave Katy a tour of the place :)


The weather is so pleasant as it fades into fall we love spending time outdoors.
 
 
Jim had the kids race!
 

  
 
Mike's Kindergarten class

 
Mike's class went to a pumpkin patch and he sure loved it. He's climbing in the center of a giant spider web.

 
His favorite part was swinging the hammer down trying to make the bell ring.
 
 
They have real tractors for the kids to climb on!

 
Little D pulls out everything I put in her hair. Even the clear plastics. She'll keep pulling until either it or the hair with it is out. Since I don't want to deal with bangs I'm just hoping her hair grows fast!

 
Doing some more unpacking indoors. Finally my stuff from Europe, Marian's Lithuanian nesting doll she gave me, the tribal guy Dad got me in Africa, and the Ukranian painted egg from Daniel all have a rightful place in our home. Hidden behind a flower arrangement so they will hopefully stay intact.

 
We started our "thankful tree" in November. It's a great way to help us all be thankful every day and remember our many blessings.


Katy had her six month checkup a few weeks ago. She is sitting, army crawling, and babbling away. She weighs a petite 14lbs 6oz (14th%) and is 26.5" tall (69th %). Long and lean. She loves sweet potatoes and gags on peas. Cheerios keep her happy but she hasn't figured out how to release them in her mouth. She'll try to cram her whole fist in and chew which doesn't exactly work. She's getting around all over the place little by little, it's fun to see her follow her siblings around.

No comments: