Sunday, May 24, 2015

End of preschool, blueberry harvest!

 
Last day of preschool! Jacob had a carnival and the kids loved the game and loud noisemaker prizes!

 
Diana with a little packet of candy. She loved it and I look forward to her being in preschool this fall.

 
Katy ever reaching for something her sister has :)

 
Jacob and his preschool teachers. Michael had them last year as well, they are great!

 
After several mornings watching birds eat our blueberries I decided to take action. Jim was out of town so I got the kids ready early for school, went to Lowes and had Mike push Katy and Diana in the cart while Nicole helped me carry all of the pvc pipe and Jake held the other supplies. It was awesome. Once the oldest were at school, I dug around in the garage and found a saw and went to work. We had some bird netting left from the garden and a ton of twist ties from the plastic bags I use for bread. It was quite the project but so far the birds have stayed away. I haven't seen them try to get through the next so I have a feeling this is probably just round one.

 
I told Diana she could have a banana. I think she didn't want to get her hands sticky?


So finally the blueberries were allowed to begin ripening without birds eating them!

 
Jim got back Friday night and Saturday we all went- along with Kathryn, Luke and Kelly who were visiting- to the beach for a day trip. We left at 6am since it was a holiday weekend and got some of the last parking spots at the pier. It was so incredibly busy having Diana who is just a cannon and Katy who was determined to find sharp shells to eat, get into sunscreen, or just crawl away! I didn't even get out my camera it was so busy. Mike and I had a great time boogie boarding together and Jim brought his short surf board and played with all of the kids out there. Hours in the sand, hours in the water, it was all a wonderful time and we left when Katy got too fussy.

 
Within two minutes of being in the car, they were both out. Diana slept the entire 3 hours until we packed up and got home!

 
Ripe! The bushes are two different kinds that will ripen at different times so we have a longer harvest.

 
Some of the first harvest! Blueberry scones tonight!

No comments: