Saturday, March 26, 2016

Work and Play

 
Last Sunday Katy "put away" the keys in the plastic spoon box. We searched and cleaned the house for 45 minutes before Mike, who had said a sweet prayer, found them! We were late to church, but the house got pretty clean in the meantime!

 
Costco just opened and I went this week. I'd let our food storage dwindle on purpose so I could buy in bulk. I had no idea it would take two trips to be able to shop the whole store! Thankfully I can still get several large things like diapers, tp, and paper towels in bulk cheaper through Amazon's subscription program! The kids know I've been excited and they were so cute getting excited about using "Costco cheese!" in their sandwiches or eating "Costco yogurt!"

 
For Activity Girls, Nicole made cute Easter cupcakes. She was delighted to be able to eat them all over the next few days. I understand the joy of having a dessert all to yourself with no siblings allowed to touch it!

 
Today we had an all day family project of mulching/laying pine straw in the backyard. This is when we were finished with the mulch in the front half and getting started on the pine straw. All of the kids worked their hardest, even Katy got in on the action by picking up mulch and taking it to the wheelbarrow. Jim couldn't keep up with their calls for "I need another bag of mulch" and they enjoyed "beating Dad" and working fast.

 
Diana taking off on the swing!

 
Laying pine straw. We have an area for a future fire pit in the middle of the pine straw.

 
Diana riding the zipline towards her unsuspecting siblings.

 
Her shrieks of glee gave her away as they got out of her way. Diana keeps ALL of us on our toes!

 
Katy swinging on the balance plank.

 
Some of our new plants are blooming. We hope they survive a summer with our children :)

 
We planted the squash and zucchini by the apple trees and they are already raring to go!

 
Final view of the finished backyard, plus the eggs all ready for the Easter egg hunt!
 
 
Katy off to find more eggs after putting one in the bag.

 
Behind trees and on swings

 
Up in the eagle nest

 
And on fence rails

 
On the bike ramp and every place in between!

 
After collecting the eggs, they open them to find a few jellybeans and a puzzle piece in each egg.

 
They put the puzzle together to earn their Easter prize.

 
This year the kids got oil pastels and sketchbooks. I made them shower since we were all filthy from all of the pine straw and mulch- and layers of pine pollen! Fun for them to experience a new art medium before we all watch some more March madness basketball :)

No comments: